When it comes to winning, the Honda CRF450R is the machine championships are made of.
Front - Single 260 mm disc with twin-piston caliper
Rear - Single 240 mm disc
Front - Dunlop MX33 80 / 100-21
Rear - Dunlop MX33 120 / 80-19
Curb - 244 lb. (Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel—ready to ride.)
#520 Chain; 13T / 49T
Four-stroke, Unicam four-valve; 38 mm intake; 31 mm exhaust
Bore x Stroke
96 x 62.1 mm
Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI), 46 mm downdraft throttle body
49 mm inverted Showa fork with rebound and compression damping adjustability
Travel - 12.2 in.
Pro-Link Showa single shock with adjustable spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability
Travel - 12.4 in.
27° 7 ft.
- SLIM BODYWORK: The CRF450R’s extra-slim bodywork makes it a lot easier to move around on the bike, and that maximizes your riding freedom. When we reduced the total number of fasteners needed to remove the body panels last year, maintenance off the bike got easier too.
- FRESH STYLING: The 2022 CRF450R takes its styling cues right off our HRC works bikes. Plus, to keep them looking good, our “in mold” graphics are more durable, especially after repeated track sessions and cleaning.
- EASY-ACCESS SEAT: Sometimes you need to think out of the box—that’s what we did with the CRF450R’s seat. Last year, we moved the attaching bolts from the rear to the front, and the tongue from the front to the rear. The result? When it’s time for service, removing and installing your CRF450R’s seat is easier than ever.
- FLAT SEAT/TANK JUNCTION: The CRF450R features a flat seat/tank junction, including a titanium fuel tank. The superior ergonomics make it easier to move forward and back on the bike, increasing your control.
- DETAILED CABLE ROUTING: You may not notice it at first, but routing the CRF450R’s throttle cables and hydraulic clutch line let our engineers shave almost half a pound off the bike. Light is always right!
- SEALED AIRBOX AND FILTER: Along with the special air filter, the airbox shape helps deliver more torque. You can access the airbox through the left number plate. And because the CRF450R’s filter has no rubber gasket where it interfaces with the intake boot, cleaning and servicing the filter is faster and less messy than ever.
- ELECTRIC STARTER: Kickstarting? Maybe if you’re riding in the vintage class, but not here. By ditching the kickstarter entirely, our engineers can make the CRF450R lighter. Electric starters and lithium-ion batteries are so light now and so good that putting them on a bike like this is a win/win combination. And winning is what a CRF450R is all about.
- SWITCH ASSEMBLY: Check out the controls on the 2022 CRF450R. We’ve made them light and intuitive. Controls used to be your bike’s shifter, clutch, and brakes. Now you have things like launch assist, selectable power modes, and more. We believe they should be easy to use, especially when you’re concentrating on winning.
- HYDRAULIC CLUTCH: The CRF450R features the first hydraulically actuated clutch we’ve offered outside of our works bikes. Made by Nissin, it’s the same design as in our Grand Prix MX machines, and performs better than third-party conversions. You get a clutch-lever pull that’s ten percent lighter at its peak, even though it’s paired with a new, stronger 8-plate clutch. Plus, you’ll never have to worry about making a clutch-cable adjustment, even during the longest events.
- EIGHT-PLATE CLUTCH ASSEMBLY: While the CRF450R’s hydraulic clutch gets all the attention, make sure you pay attention to the clutch assembly itself. Say good-bye to clutch fade—the bike uses an eight-plate design to improve durability and hookup. That means 85 percent less slip at peak horsepower, and 27 percent more total torque transmission through the clutch pack over a seven-plate clutch. Even the spring is super strong for better lockup, but thanks to the hydraulic actuation, clutch-lever pull is lighter than ever.
- HRC LAUNCH CONTROL: We’re talking about a special ECU program here: push the button to select the mode, hold the throttle open, release the clutch, and the CRF450R will do the rest, launching you into the first turn with a big advantage. It turns your bike into a holeshot-seeking machine!
- HONDA SELECTABLE TORQUE CONTROL (HSTC): Notice that button on the handlebar by the clutch perch? The CRF450R get our Honda Selectable Torque Control (HSTC). You can choose from one of three settings to perfectly dial your bike in depending on how much traction is available.
- ENGINE MODE SELECT BUTTON: This simple handlebar-mounted button lets you dial in engine power delivery character with a push of your thumb. Choose between Standard, Smooth and Aggressive, depending on track conditions.
- COMPACT FUEL PUMP: No detail is too small for our engineers—especially if they can make it smaller and lighter. That’s why we even made the CRF450R’s fuel pump super compact and super light. Why carry around any extra weight when you don’t have too?
- ONE-PIECE RADIATOR SHROUDS: Using computer-aided Computational Fluid Dynamics, our engineers fine-tuned the CRF450R’s radiator shrouds to increase cooling. You can see that they’re a one-piece design, but more important, they promote better cooling for more consistent power, longer into a race, especially when you’re really on the gas and working the engine hard.
- REAR BRAKE PADS: Brakes are for more than just stopping: they help you set up the bike in turns and jumps. Which is why we pay so much attention to detail like brake pads. They’re designed to last longer and give you more stopping power—a real win/win to help you win.
- 260MM FRONT BRAKE: The CRF450R’s large front-brake disc measures a whopping 260mm. You get great brake feel and a pattern that cuts down on weight. Front and rear brake-disc guards are part of the package too.
- TITANIUM FUEL TANK: Grams and performance count, and the CRF450R uses a titanium fuel tank. Light and strong, it maintains the same capacity as our previous plastic unit, while freeing up more space and helping to centralize fuel mass.
- LIGHT NARROW FRAME: Great handling starts with a superior frame, and that’s one place where the CRF450R’s chassis puts you out front. First, it’s light—over a pound and a half lighter than the previous generation’s. By making the frame’s main spars narrow, we save weight, but more important we make the chassis more responsive by fine-tuning the lateral rigidity. The result is a bike that gets into, around, and out of corners faster.
- NARROW SWINGARM: Designed in conjunction with the new frame, by using narrower main members (just like the frame uses narrower main spars), we’ve matched the swingarm’s lateral rigidity to the rest of the chassis. What you get is a balanced, fully integrated approach to frame stiffness, letting you get around corners faster and with better feel.
- LIGHTWEIGHT SUBFRAME: The 2022 CRF450R’s subframe is nearly three-quarters of a pound lighter than the last generation’s part. We’ve simplified its construction too.
- SEALED BATTERY BOX: Three key features you should know about: The battery box sits low, for an improved center of gravity. Second, it’s also easy to service. And third, it’s water-tight, so there's less to worry about when racing in wet conditions.
- FRONT SUSPENSION: We’ve changed the suspension settings on the 2022 CRF450R, fine-tuning them for better damping and handling. And note the axle holding fixtures at the bottom of each fork leg—they help increase rigidity, and enhance steering precision and suspension performance.
- TUNED TRIPLE CLAMPS: The CRF450R is a perfectly matched package. With the frame and swingarm featuring an optimized lateral stiffness, and the fork legs featuring a stiff, solid-feel axle fixture, we joined the two with equally refined upper and lower triple clamps. Working in concert, they help improve and balance total rigidity, responsiveness and turning performance.
- REAR SUSPENSION: The CRF450R’s frame design lets us fit a special rear shock. We optimized its shape to match the frame, and gave it special revised settings for 2022 to improve handling and ride. The shocks valving resets fast for better response. In addition, it features a special steel spring that cuts weight without cutting performance.
- SHOWA SPRING FORK: The 49mm Showa fork features a conventional spring design that helps increase the CRF450R’s front-suspension precision, handling and feel. The spring rate provides better bottoming resistance and improved handling.
- SINGLE-PIPE EXHAUST: Along with the single-muffler exhaust, the CRF450R naturally uses a single-pipe header. It routes close to the center of the bike, and its light overall construction helps improve weight distribution.
- 449CC UNICAM ENGINE: Honda’s Unicam cylinder heads combine the best of single- and double-overhead-cam designs. The configuration contributes to a compact engine that saves weight over a comparable dual-overhead-camshaft motor and also permits a narrow included valve angle. This flattens the combustion chamber to facilitate ignition flame propagation, allowing a high compression ratio. Since less space is taken up in the cylinder head, the camshaft sits lower in the head for a more compact engine and a lower center of gravity.
- AUTOMATIC DECOMPRESSION SYSTEM: You can’t see this unless you take the engine apart, but you’ll notice it on the track. Last year our engineers redesigned the auto decompression hardware, and also moved it from the right side of the cam to the left. The result is less stalling at extreme low RPM (think deep into a turn without downshifting) as well as better rideability.
- CENTRAL-PORT CYLINDER HEAD: The 2022 CRF450R features a special cylinder head. Its biggest feature: an oval-shaped centralized exhaust port. Together with the single-muffler exhaust, it boosts power from 5000 rpm up, and increases exhaust efficiency.
- TITANIUM INTAKE VALVES: Lightweight titanium intake valves cut down on reciprocating mass and permit the use of smaller valve springs, reducing overall engine height.
- FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM: By installing the CRF450R’s fuel injector at a 60-degree angle, the injector sprays fuel all the way back to the throttle butterfly. The engine gets a cooler, denser fuel charge for more power and better torque. It’s little details like this that put the CRF450R up front.
- DOWNDRAFT FUEL INJECTION: The CRF450R features a downdraft intake tract and FI body to help increase both power and fuel-metering precision. It’s part of the reason the CRF450R offers such explosive power and massive torque, especially out of the starting gate and in the critical first 100 feet of the race to the first turn.
- DOUBLE-SPRAY INJECTOR SETTINGS: The CRF450R’s fuel-injection system sprays twice per intake cycle. That helps increase fuel atomization without adding the weight or complexity of a second injector. The better fuel atomization means more power in the midrange and on overrev—you’ll feel it the first time you race.
- DUNLOP MX3S TIRES: These are the skins of choice for serious MX racers right now, so naturally, we fit the best to the 2022 CRF450R. The Dunlops hook up in a wide variety of conditions, and help you put the CRF450R’s improved cornering performance to the ground.
- CYLINDER HEAD LAYOUT: The CRF450R uses our latest finger-follower rocker design. The Unicam cylinder head remains one of the most efficient in the MX world, giving you the design and performance of a double-overhead-cam layout but the compactness of a single-overhead-cam design.
- 13.5:1 COMPRESSION RATIO: Honda engineering at its best: The CRF450R’s cylinder head features a highly refined combustion-chamber shape and generous squish area, allowing an impressive 13.5:1 compression ratio for superior efficiency and power.
- SKID PLATE: A factory skid plate is light and offers the engine and lower-frame protection that a racer demands.